Monday, October 28, 2013

My Journey of Self Discovery - Chapter 2: Setting Sail - New Horizons!

I remember leaving my family at the Douala airport and setting off to South Africa.

When I landed at OR Tambo airport in Johannesburg, I was blown away by the infrastructure but taken aback by the extremely cold weather – no one told me we had winters in Africa.

But I got over the weather as soon as I walked into the African Leadership Academy campus...

Located in Randpark Ridge, my home for the next two years stood before me in mighty splendor.

And with each passing week, with each conversation, with each ALA event, with each guest speaker, with each community service trip, each outing, each conversation with amazing classmates, with each moment at ALA, I learnt, discovered and took a step closer towards my journey of self discovery.


...

My first Christmas away from home was after my first semester at ALA. 


My Swahili teacher at ALA, a lovely woman by name Mrs. Beatrice Akala introduced me to a friend of hers – Mrs. Nanzala Mwuara.

Long story short! 

The reason why South Africa will always be my home is thanks to this kind hearted woman, who with the little she knew about me, offered me a place to stay not once but over and over again - she became my host mom.

It is people like Mrs. Nanzala, her two daughters Wambui and Wangechi and her housekeeper Ms Agnes who showed me that there is still hope for our troubled world.

They were and continue to be a bright light in my life!


Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.

Margaret Mead

No comments:

Post a Comment