Sunday, September 29, 2013

My Journey of Self Discovery - Introduction!

Growing up, I always had a passion for creative writing and poetry. I just loved the way a story, thought or idea could come to live through the use of words.

This is because writing, storytelling and poetry have a way of capturing our inner most thoughts and feelings, putting it across in a way that makes it compelling to the mind of reader.

I remember winning my first poetry competition aged 12. It was Young writers competition and thanks to the boarding school I attended, I heard about the competition and submitted a poem on AIDS; the first poem and the last I ever wrote.

So I stopped writing and just focused on school work – I was such a NERD, still am by the way and I love it!

My last school semester in Form 3 (8th grade), I received two prizes, one for literature and the other for physics and that’s when things got really interesting.

Moving into Form 4(9th grade) when students get to choose their specializations, I found myself doing mostly science subjects as is expected of nerds I guess. My subject list was as follows: Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Further Maths, Economics, Geography, History and then English, French and Religion which were compulsory.

But then I would always find myself talking to the Accounting teacher, wanting to learn more about his profession and about the subject. I also found myself on more than one occasion peeking into the literature class.

When I had finally had enough, I replaced Physics with Accounting and Further Mathematics with Literature. Some may call it quitting but I wasn't quitting because I loved Physics.

I call it being true about what you really want to do versus what people and society want you to do or what is perceived as cool or en vogue and having the guts to actually do it.

After 6 years of not engaging in any creative writing, I finally rediscovered my passion for words through the writing class at the African Leadership Academy.

It is this rediscovery that led me to write the speech I delivered at the African Leadership Academy Grand Opening Event http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iVjv-WbBhQ.

It also led me to start a blog whilst enrolled at the London School of Economics. But being the nerd I am coupled with the maze of LSE and London, I gradually lost my fire for writing and rather focused on other things (school work and internships) I felt were more important.

What I didn’t realize was that your passions are an important aspect of your life because they help you realize the essence of who you are - your raison d’être.

But as fate would have it, the universe has once again positioned me in an environment where I am encouraged to nurture my passions.

Thus through madellekangha.blogspot.com, I am using my love for written word to positively influence others to follow their passions…

"The heart of human excellence often begins to beat when you discover a pursuit that absorbs you, frees you, challenges you, and gives you a sense of meaning, joy and passion".

No comments:

Post a Comment